Monday, June 25, 2012

Packing Up My Classroom #4

Problem #4:  It is always overwhelming when I walk back into my classroom to prepare for the new school year.  I know that I have a million things to do on top of teacher meetings and lesson plans.  However, despite the fact that I've done it before, I have trouble remembering what all needs to be done before that first day!

How I've Done It Before - I'm a big list person.  I love to make to-do lists and check things off, one by one.  Usually, during that first week, I make a list of things to do as I remember them.  This takes time, though, and my time that first week back is extremely valuable.  Besides, I often end up using my time inefficiently because I don't have a complete list to start the week.  I lose little bits of time, here and there, because I haven't thought of all the little things that need to be done. 

How I Did It This Year - This year, I pulled out a sheet of paper as I packed up my classroom.  Every time I thought of something that would need to be done in the fall, I wrote it on the paper.  This way, I will have a list as soon as I return to school.  I put the completed list in my box of things that I know I'll need when I return to my room in August so that I don't have to worry about losing it.  This will make it easy for me to scan the list to pick out a couple things to do at home each night (name tags, attendance lists, etc.)  Plus, it will help me to make sure that I don't forget anything, only to remember it the morning of orientation, or worse, the morning of the first day of school!

Does anyone else have any great, sensible ideas to prepare for the next school year as you finish up this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment