Friday, June 22, 2012

Packing Up My Classroom #2

Problem #2:  When I pack up my classroom at the end of the year, I always come across extra name tags, labels for folders, and other odds and ends that I know I'll need in two and a half months when I start to put my room back together for a new class.  The problem is, how do I keep track of those things so that I can find them in the fall?

How I've Done It Before - Usually, I just put these items back where I found them.  Then, in August, I usually spend a good amount of time looking for them unsuccessfully.  When I give up, I go out and buy new things, only to find my extras three days later, after I've opened, written on, laminated, and stapled all the new things I bought.

How I Did It This Year - This year, as I went through all the school year rubble that had accumulated in my room for the last 9 months, I set aside anything I'd need when I started putting things back up before the new school year.  I found a medium-sized plastic container that I'd emptied of something else, and into it I tossed all the extra name tags, monkeys, bananas (I have a monkey themed classroom), chore labels, etc. that I had found.  I know that this will save me some time and money in August because I will know right where these items are!

Tomorrow's Problem - What to do when you have 200 red pens, but you don't know where any of them are!

No comments:

Post a Comment